self compiler questions

I haven't been able to use Self yet, but I've read the manual and
papers and have *lots* of questions.

Why is the Self compiler always compared with optimizing C? Since
it does many run-time checks I would think that Self would be
more fairly compared to Pascal.

I don't like C++ very much - couldn't the Self compiler be written
in Self ( which, I hope you will agree, is much nicer ) and compile
itself using a tiny bootstrap interpreter?

Are there any statistics on Self like those on Smalltalk in
"Smalltalk-80: Bits of History, Words of Advice"? I'm designing a
Self multiprocessor machine and knowing such things as average
object size and so on would be helpful.

- Jecel - Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil