[no subject]

>> From self.stanford.edu!owner-self-interest@netcomsv.netcom.com Tue Aug 18 14:>12:35 1992
>> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 92 13:52:53 PDT
>> From: Eng.Sun.COM!Urs.Hoelzle@netcomsv.netcom.com (Urs Hoelzle)
>> To: dirkst@POOL.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
>> Cc: self-interest@self.stanford.edu
>>
>>   My question: Is anyone porting Self to some other platform, maybe even
>>   to the 386? I have Linux running on a 486/33 w/ 16 Meg RAM and 500 Meg
>>   HD, which should be a workable system for Self; I have gcc-2.2.2 and
>>   libg++-2.2, so it should be possible to compile the virtual machine
>>  (judging from the README's).
>
> (then Urs Hoelzle responded...)
>
> To cite from a previous mail: We're certainly aware of that problem,
> and there is no intention of restricting it to the Sparc architecture.
> However, we currently do not have the manpower to port Self to other
> platforms.

It is my understanding that the Self UI group is planning on building the next
generation UI on XGL, which would make it inherently non-portable.
PEXlib, OpenGL, and PHIGS, however, are portable, to varying degrees.
PEXlib, for example is portable to all X platforms and is reported to give
85% of the performance of XGL, which sounds like a minor thing to give up
for portability.  OpenGL is not only portable to other X platforms, but is
being licensed by Microsoft for NT/Windows, so that a port to other non-UNIX
platforms would be feasible.

Keith Hankin
uniteq!keith@netcomsv.netcom.com