More stuff...

  To conclude the X discussion:

  I was able to open windows under X11R4 and OpenWindow running on the
console with ':0.0'
  I was able to open windows with 'hostname:0.0' if I was on the Sun
console. However, if I was on another X station, it didn't work.
  Using the string '', however would appear to let XOpenDisplay() look
up $DISPLAY on its own, and that *does* work.
  Actually, I'm not sure I can repeat this every time either...

  I thought I'd try and compile Self. Why, when I can add things via
dynamic linking? I'm not sure :-) g++ version 2.3.3 runs out of memory
at line 2346 of op.h while compiling op.c. I tried another machine
with 45Mb of swap allocated (with at least 28Mb free I think), and got
the same thing.
  Could it be 2.3.3 bugs? op.c seems to include a zillion things.

op.h: In method `NonLocalReturnOp::NonLocalReturnOp (struct Name*, struct Name*, struct Name*, struct Use* (=  0 ), struct Use* (=  0 ), struct Use* (=  0 ))':
In file included from _op.c.incl:118, from op.c:13:
op.h:2346: virtual memory exhausted
lock_run failed on "turing" with status = 1.
ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.1.6 has older revision than expected 7

  Thanks for everyone's help.