Re: Self Tutorial converted to HTML

Mario Wolczko wrote:
> I finally got around to putting it on the Self web site.  It's
> available directly from the main page on self.sunlabs.com.  Or, look
> in self.sunlabs.com/release/documentation.html for a tar file
> containing the HTML sources and images.

That's great! I had downloaded the postscript version to use in
a talk I am going to give (http://lsi.usp.br/~jecel/talk.html),
but a HTML version is even better.

> One caution: I can't see the content of many of the pages using
> Netscape Navigator 2.01 or 2.02 (it seems that it is confused by the
> two-column pages).  Internet Explorer 3.0 works fine, though.

Netscape 3.0 Gold doesn't show the pages either.

> The Self web browser, however, does a pretty passable job, despite
> never having been designed to cope with tables.  Way to go, Dave!
> It's nice to have a tutorial available from within the system.

Internet Explorer's reformat-as-it-loads feature is the first
one I have seen to even compare with what Dave has done. Adding
tables to the Self browser wouldn't be too hard, but background
images would require a major overhaul of the morphic framework,
I think.

> Thanks to Steve for making this available!

I second this!

-- Jecel