self-interest is alive again, and an announcement: tutorial available

This message is to announce that the self-interest mailing list seems
to be alive again, after a prolonged absence due to various system
problems.

To send something to the list, mail self-interest@self.sunlabs.com.
You are already on the list if you received this message; to request
to be removed, or for other administrivia, mail
self-interest-request@self.sunlabs.com.

The Self web pages are at http://self.sunlabs.com.

Finally, some real content: the ECOOP Self tutorial notes,
`Prototype-based application construction using Self 4.0', are
available, in PostScript, from
http://self.smli.com/release/documentation.html.  This is a 130-page
tutorial that describes the language, environment, and GUI layer in
some detail.  If you've worked through the online tutorial, this is
probably the next thing you should read.  If you can't run the system,
this should give you a feel for what it's like to program in Self 4.0.
We will also be preparing a video of the system soon; watch this space
for details of how to get it.

Finally, please note that the mirror site in the UK,
mushroom.cs.man.ac.uk, is no longer operational.  We will try to
arrange for Self 4.0 to be available elsewhere.

-Mario